Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
This Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup is rich, creamy and satisfying! It's perfect for weeknights and it will be on your table in no time!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Total Time 26 minutes
Servings 5 people
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or preferred oil (vegan butter works too)
- 1/2 medium onion , diced
- 3 medium leeks , cleaned well & sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander *optional
- 5 small (2 pounds) russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup canned coconut milk or any unsweetened plant-based milk
Turn on the sauté feature of your Instant Pot and add the oil. When heated, add the leeks and onions. Sauté until softened, about 4-6 minutes.
Add the garlic thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
Cancel the sauté function. Now add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Close and secure the lid. Turn the steam release handle to the Sealing position. Push the Pressure Cooker (Manual Setting) button to high pressure and set the time to 6 minutes by using the + or - button.
The cooker will beep when the time is up. Carefully turn the steam release handle to the Venting position (It will loudly spurt out lots of steam and some water). Once the Float Valve goes down you can open the lid.
Remove the bay leaves and add the coconut milk. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until creamy and smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. If the soup is too thick for your taste, you can add a small amount of vegetable broth to thin it out. See notes for topping ideas.
*CLEANING LEEKS: leeks can be very dirty inside the layers because they are grown in deep soil. To clean thoroughly, cut off the dark green part and discard (or save for stock). Cut off the roots, and slice the stalk lengthwise in half. Now slice the leek into pieces. Place in a small bowl of water and swish around to release the dirt. Place in a colander and drain well.
*TOPPING IDEAS: swirled coconut milk, pat of vegan butter, vegan sour cream, cracked pepper, crushed red pepper, smoked paprika, squeeze of lemon (highly recommend), fresh-cut chives, cilantro or green onions.
* The cook time doesn't include the Instant Pot preheating time. This can take 8-12 minutes and takes place after you seal the pot and set the timer.
Don't have an Instant Pot? No worries, you can make my stovetop version HERE.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 432mg | Potassium: 1116mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 890IU | Vitamin C: 18.8mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 4mg