Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta
In just 30 minutes, you can have this Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta. It’s spicy, garlicky, rich and savory!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 16 oz penne pasta (GF if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes * optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 26 oz pak/can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese , softened (sub vegan sour cream)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan (sub 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast)
- 2 cups (heaping) fresh spinach
Place pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water. Cook until al dente (usually 9-11 minutes). Drain and set aside.
Heat up oil over medium heat. When heated, add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until lightly brown. * Stir often to prevent burning.
Now stir in the tomato paste, crushed red pepper, oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add wine and turn heat up to medium-high to simmer. Once simmering turn heat back to medium. Cook wine down, about 2-3 minutes. Stir often.
Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Lightly simmer for 5-6 minutes until liquid reduces a little bit.
Stir in the vegan cream cheese and parmesan. Keep stirring until melted and combined.
Add the fresh spinach and cook until it's slightly wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
Now add the pasta to the pan and gently toss to coat. (*For saucier pasta, don't add the full pound) Warm pasta in sauce for a few minutes only if needed). Otherwise, remove from heat and serve immediately. *Top with fresh-cut basil, cracked pepper, and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
* Timing: I like to start the sauce around the same time as the pasta. This way the pasta isn't sitting too long, and it will be hot & fresh when it goes into the sauce. * If pasta is taking longer than expected and your sauce is done, turn the heat on low or remove and cover for a few minutes. This will prevent the sauce from burning.
Calories: 460kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 571mg | Potassium: 1110mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 9155IU | Vitamin C: 42.8mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 5.5mg