Vegan Clam Chowder (Gluten-Free)
Warm up on a chilly night with this rich, creamy & hearty New England Vegan Clam Chowder. It takes 30 minutes to make & it's easy to prepare, too.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Cream Base (see note for alternative)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 2-4 hours (*See Note)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (or olive oil)
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or any mushrooms)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon low sodium tamari (sub soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter (sub with olive oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 celery stalks , diced
- 2 medium carrots , diced or sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2-3 med/large cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (a vegan variety)
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (gluten-free or regular)
- 2 medium russet potatoes , peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kelp granules or dulse flakes (*see note)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (*optional)
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
In a large sauce pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter. When heated, add mushrooms and sauté until the liquid evaporates (about 3 minutes). Now add 1 clove minced garlic and soy sauce. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender & lightly browned. About 2-4 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
Wipe out the same pot and return to stove. Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, garlic & thyme. Sauté about 5-7 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Add wine and turn heat up to medium-high to simmer. Once simmering turn heat back to medium. Cook wine down about 3-5 minutes. Stir often.
Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir constantly for 30-60 seconds.
Stir in broth and add potatoes, bay leaf, kelp granules, and salt. Bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Turn heat to medium low and slowly stir in cashew cream. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms, lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper.
Place in your favorite soup bowls & garnish with fresh parsley. Side with crackers or crispy bread. Enjoy!
*To speed up soaking time for cashews: in a small pot, boil water and remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 15-20 minutes, until softened.
* If you can't find kelp granules, you can use dulse flakes, dulse granules or break up a small piece of nori. If you don't want the ocean-like flavor, you can omit the seaweed altogether. It will still be delicious! You can also add a teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning.
*Prep time doesn't include soaking time for cashews
- To make this cashew-free, omit the Cream Base Step (soy milk and cashews)and replace it with 1 cup of canned lite coconut milk. Add to soup after removing from heat.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 497mg | Potassium: 708mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2.5mg