Oh Mommy Umami Lettuce Wraps
Excerpted from Fuss Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized. Copyright © 2017 Samantha Turnbull. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
For The Sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon your favorite hot sauce , optional
For The Lentils
- 1 tablespoon light oil , like peanut or canola oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and minced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup walnuts , chopped
- 1 head of butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce , leaves separated but kept whole
- 1 medium carrot , cut into matchsticks or grated
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
For the sauce, in a small bowl, mix the ingredients together and set
For the lentils, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high When hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion softens and begins to brown.
Stir in the lentils and then the vegetable Turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until all the broth is absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Stir in the walnuts and about half of the sauce mixture, or to taste.
To serve, take a leaf of lettuce, fill it with the lentil-walnut mixture, top with carrot, green onions, and sesame seeds, and spoon as much sauce as desired over it all. Fold it like a taco and munch away!
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 652mg | Potassium: 714mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 4.6mg