Vegan Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
This Vegan Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup is rich, creamy and comforting. It's dairy-free, gluten-free and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 2 large carrots , peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium butternut squash , peeled and diced (about 4- 5 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato , peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable broth , low sodium *See note
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- A Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or preferred salt), more to taste.
- fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
In a large soup pot, heat oil & butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add carrots and garlic, sauté about 6-7 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add cumin, thyme, and nutmeg, cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the squash, sweet potato, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a slight boil, then reduce to a simmer, cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Remove from heat and add the coconut milk & lemon juice. Taste for salt and add as needed.
Using a regular blender or an immersion blender, purée the vegetables until it's a smooth & creamy consistency. Place into soup bowls, swirl some coconut milk & add pumpkin seeds on top.
**Vegetable Broth: I like to use low sodium broth, so I can control the salt taste. Some broths are too salty and can ruin a good recipe. If you would like to use a regular broth, make sure to cut down the added salt in the recipe. Taste as you go along. Another option, is to blend low sodium and regular broth together.
*Serve with some warm bread. Garnish with some fresh ground pepper, fresh basil or cilantro.
Serving: 1Bowl | Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 540mg | Potassium: 373mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6140IU | Vitamin C: 5.2mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.9mg