Mexican Corn Salad
This Mexican Corn Salad is the perfect summer recipe! It's made with fresh corn that is loaded with smoky flavors from charring it on the grill. Then it's tossed together with a creamy and citrusy dressing and topped with vegan feta cheese.
Servings 6 people
- 6 ears fresh corn , in husk (see note for alternatives)
- 1 small red onion , finely diced
- 2 jalapeños , seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan feta cheese , + more for topping (see note for substitute)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise , more if needed
- 3-4 tablespoons lime , fresh-squeezed (about 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder , + more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika , + more for topping
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (450 °F). Trim silk off ends of the corn and remove any loose pieces, but leave the corn in their husks. Place the corn on the grill and close the lid. Cook for 15-20 minutes until husks are charred on all sides, turning every 5 minutes.
Let the corn cool a little before handling. Remove husks and silk. Now carefully cut off the kernels using a sharp knife. Add kernels to a large bowl.
Now add the red onions, jalapeños, cilantro, feta cheese, mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Toss gently to combine. Taste for flavor and add more lime juice or seasonings if needed. Sprinkle the top with additional feta cheese, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Serve right away or cover and chill until ready to serve.
CORN: instead of fresh corn, you can use 3 cans of roasted corn (drained) or 6 cups of frozen corn that is thawed.
If you have fresh corn without the husks, you can wrap them in tin foil and cook them the same way on the grill.
ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHODS:
SUBSTITUTES FOR VEGAN FETA CHEESE:
- ROASTING: Preheat your oven to 425°F. Place the corn in their husks directly on the middle rack. Cook for 25-30 minutes until tender. You can also use foil if you don't have corn in the husk.
- BOIL: Remove husks and silk from the corn. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add corn and cook for 3-5 minutes until corn is tender and plump.
- PAN ROASTED: Remove husks and silk from the corn. Carefully cut the kernels off the cob. Now, heat oil or vegan butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and cook until it browns on all sides. Stir occasionally. I suggest working in a few batches so it's easier to brown.
TO MAKE IT OIL-FREE: You can use my Vegan Sour Cream recipe or use an oil-free store-bought variety.
- Vegan Parmesan: Homemade or Store-Bought.
- Vegan Cheese Shreds
- Nutritional Yeast (2-3 tablespoons)
- Crumbled Tofu: add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar. Season with salt and toss together.
- More zing: add zest from 1 lime
- More heat: add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Seasoning: 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, black pepper, coriander
- Veggies: tomatoes, bell peppers,
- Protein: black beans or crumbled tofu.
- Jalapeños: Jarred jalapeños will work. If you want to omit the heat, you can replace with red or green bell peppers.
- Red onions: green onions
- Cilantro: parsley
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 380mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg