One Pot Tomato Orzo Recipe
This easy One-Pot Basil and Tomato Orzo Recipe is perfect for busy weeknight meals. It's flavorful, satisfying, and it's ready in 30 minutes or less!
Servings 4 people
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta , uncooked
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes , canned
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup fresh basil , chopped (sub with parsley)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 1 minute until garlic is lightly browned.
Add the orzo and stir to coat well. Cook for 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the orzo and incorporate flavors. Move around occasionally to prevent sticking.
Pour in the white wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks down. About 1-2 minutes.
Now add the diced tomatoes (with juices) and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and salt. Turn heat up to get it boiling. Once boiling, turn heat down to maintain a low simmer. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes or until liquid has mostly cooked down and orzo is tender. Stir often to prevent sticking. Uncover the last few minutes of cook time.
Remove from heat and add the capers and fresh basil. Stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Let the orzo sit uncovered for 1-2 minutes. This will give it time to thicken up. Serve with vegan parmesan and fresh-cracked pepper. Enjoy!
* The wine can be omitted if you don't have it on hand. Just skip the step entirely. If you need to deglaze the pan a bit while the orzo is toasting, just splash a little bit of vegetable broth in the pan.
* To make this recipe kid-friendly, omit the crushed red pepper.
Serving: 1(1 1/2 cups) | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 410mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1.6mg