Creamy Vegan Coleslaw
This Vegan Coleslaw is a lightened up version of the classic we all love. It's mayo-free, yet it's still so rich, creamy and tangy. It'll be a hit at your next barbeque, picnic or potluck!
Servings 8 people
- 1 large head green cabbage , finely shredded (about 9-10 cups)
- 1/2 small head red cabbage , finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots , shredded
- 1/4 cup parsley , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews , soaked in water for 2-4 hours (*see note)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt , unsweetened
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk , unsweetend
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh squeezed
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 clove garlic (sub 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
Add all dressing ingredients to a high-speed blender (discard cashew soaking water). Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavors if needed. * Keep in mind, that the flavors will be concentrated, but it will be covering a lot of vegetables.
To a large mixing bowl, add the cabbage, carrots, and parsley. Toss to combine. Now pour on 1 cup of dressing and toss to coat. Check for desired consistency and add more dressing if needed (I usually add the whole batch). You can always add more after the coleslaw has chilled too.
Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to let the flavors marinate. Toss once more before serving. Taste for flavor and add more if needed. Top with fresh cracked pepper and more parsley if desired.
If you want to soften the cashews quicker, you can soak them in very hot water. Just boil water and then remove pot from heat, add the cashews and cover for 15-20 minutes until softened. If you don't have a high-speed blender, you may need to soak the cashews longer.
* Prep time doesn't include cashew soaking time and chilling time for coleslaw.
Serving: 1(1 1/4 cup) | Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 374mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4495IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 1.3mg