Vegan Baked Potato Soup
This Vegan Baked Potato Soup is creamy, cheesy, smoky & fully loaded with veganized classic toppings. It's pure comfort in a bowl!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup soy milk , unsweetened (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews , soaked in water 2-4 hours (*See Note)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil , or preferred oil
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 medium russet potatoes , peeled & cut into 1/2" chunks (about 2 lbs)
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 5 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke *optional
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice *optional
In a large pot, heat oil & butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt. Now add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
Add minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Add potatoes, smoked paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable broth to cover potatoes. Add bay leaf. Stir in nutritional yeast and *optional liquid smoke. Raise heat so it starts to boil. Now reduce heat to a medium simmer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Remove from heat and slowly stir in cashew cream. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Stir in lemon juice if desired (*1 tablespoon at a time).
Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until creamy and smooth. You can leave a little texture if desired.
Serve immediately in soup bowls. Top with sour cream, chives, vegan cheddar shreds and vegan bacon bits.
*To speed up soaking time for cashews: in a small pot, boil water and remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 15-20 minutes, until softened.
* If you're using the rice paper bacon, top it on the soup last. If the bacon sits too long in the soup, it won't be as crispy. Still tasty though :)
*Vegetable Broth: I like to use low sodium broth, so I can control the salt taste. Some broths are too salty and can ruin a good recipe. If you would like to use a regular broth, make sure to cut down the added salt in the recipe. Taste as you go along. Another option is to blend low sodium and regular broth together.
*Prep time doesn't include soaking time for cashews.
* Yields about 7 1/2 cups of soup.
* Nutritional info doesn't include toppings.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 961mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 3.1mg