Vegan Ricotta Cheese
This Vegan Ricotta Cheese is super creamy, rich & tangy! It requires simple ingredients & 15 minutes of your time. Gluten-free & oil-free.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 10 people
- 1 block (15 oz) extra-firm tofu , drained but not pressed
- 1 cup raw cashews , soaked in water 3-4 hours (*see note)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy yogurt , unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice , more to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh basil , loosely packed (*optional)
Drain and rinse cashews (discard water) and add to a food processor. Now add lemon juice, yogurt, nutritional yeast, garlic, and salt. Process on high until it forms a smooth paste. Scrape down sides as necessary. (*If needed, you can add a few splashes of unsweetened non-dairy milk to help everything move easier)
Break up the tofu with your hands into large pieces and place in food processor. Pulse until you've reached desired consistency. *You can make it smooth or with some texture. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
Now add the optional basil and pulse until you see green flecks.
Use immediately or cover and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
* This recipe is oil-free, but if you'd like to add more richness, pour in 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil while the food processor is running (while the cashews are processing).
* Prep time doesn't include soaking time for cashews.
* To speed up soaking time for cashews: in a small pot, boil water and remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 15-20 minutes, until softened.
* Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Serving: 4Tablespoons | Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 251mg | Potassium: 216mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 3.7mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.5mg