This Vegan Cornbread Stuffing will be the star at your holiday table. It’s gorgeous to look at and chock-full of autumn flavors.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
to toast the pecans, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Toast them for about 5 minutes, until they become fragrant. They burn easily so keep an eye on them. You can toast the pecans days before and store them in an airtight container on your counter.
* Vegetable Broth:
I like to use low sodium broth, so I can control the salt taste. Some broths are too salty and can ruin a good recipe. If you would like to use a regular broth, make sure to cut down the added salt in the recipe. Taste as you go along. Another option is to blend low sodium and regular broth together.
If you make my Skillet Cornbread, I would cut the sweetener in half or omit it altogether. Also, I prefer to leave out the corn kernels too. The cornbread can be made a few days before too,
* Another way of drying your bread cubes is by spreading them out on a baking sheet and leaving them out overnight to get stale.
* This recipe will work the same with white bread or sourdough bread.
* The consistency of stuffing is all a matter of taste. Some people prefer it moist (almost bread pudding-like) and some people prefer a drier stuffing. So this is why the broth amount is just a guideline. Add more or less liquid according to your stuffing preference. *Just remember to add liquid slowly and give it time to absorb into the cubes.
* If you feel you over moistened the stuffing (before you've baked it) you can add more dried bread cubes. If you don't have anymore sourdough, you can use any type of dried bread or even non-seasoned breadcrumbs.
* If your stuffing seems too soggy after it has baked, you can spread it on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes more.
* If your stuffing came out to dry after baking, you can remoisten it with warm vegetable broth and a tablespoon of melted butter and gently combine. Cover and bake for another 15-20 minutes then bake uncovered for 10- 15 minutes if you want a crispy top.