Bombay Potatoes and Peas
Bombay potatoes is a spiced potato dish made with whole spices. It can include curry leaves, different spices, peanuts, and so on. This version uses mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and peas to add some color and protein. Add some other vegetables or cooked chickpeas to make it a meal. This recipe also works well with sweet potatoes.
From Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen copyright © 2017 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons organic safflower (or other neutral oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 1 large tomato , coarsely chopped
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch [3cm] knob fresh ginger , peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala , or more to taste
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes , cut into 1/2-inch [1cm] pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt , or more to taste
- 1 cup 240ml water, or more as needed
- 1 cup 160g fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1/4 cup 10g finely chopped cilantro
- Fresh lemon juice , to taste (optional)
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds. Cook until the cumin seeds change color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a blender, blend the tomato, garlic, and ginger into a coarse puree. Add the tomato mixture, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, ground cumin, and garam masala to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the puree thickens and the garlic is fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the potatoes, salt, and water. Cover the skillet and cook for 10 to 11 minutes. Add the peas. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for another 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked to your preference. Add additional water if the potatoes start to stick or if you prefer more curry. Add the cilantro and lemon juice (if using).
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 648mg | Potassium: 749mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 5.4mg