Vegan Potato Corn Chowder
This Vegan Potato Corn Chowder is hearty, creamy and satisfying! It's easy to make and perfect for any time of year!
Servings 6 People
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 large leek , sliced (white and light-green part only) *See note
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 cup carrots , diced
- 4 medium potatoes , peeled and diced
- 2 cups corn , fresh or frozen (about 4 ears, shucked)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour (or regular all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup coconut milk , full-fat canned or lite
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (*optional)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Once heated, add onions and leeks and sauté about 2-3 minutes until softened. Add celery, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme, and parsley. Sauté until softened 5-6 minutes
Add potatoes and carrots, combine well. Stir in flour and cook for 30-60 seconds so it doesn’t burn. Add vegetable broth salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a light simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender
Add corn and bring back to a light boil, then reduce heat and lightly simmer for another 5-8 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat and remove bay leaf. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lime juice. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend about half of the soup or more, depending on your desired consistency.
Serve and enjoy!
Topping Ideas: Fresh-cut cilantro, diced red bell pepper, green onion & red pepper flakes If you don't have or like full-fat coconut milk, you can use any unsweetened plant-based milk. It will still be creamy and delicious.
*Leeks can be very dirty inside the layers, because they are grown in sandy soil. To clean thoroughly: Cut off the dark green part and discard (or save for stock). Cut off the roots, and slice the stalk lengthwise in half. Now slice the entire leek into pieces. Place in a small bowl of water and swish around to release the dirt. Place in colander and drain well.
Serving: 1Bowl | Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 474mg | Potassium: 841mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4430IU | Vitamin C: 44.6mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 5.7mg