Three Bean Mushroom Chili
This Three Bean Mushroom Chili is hearty, healthy and down right delicious! It will keep you belly warm on those chilly days, too. It pairs nicely with a warm piece of cornbread and a dollop of vegan sour cream. Enjoy!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced (or any color)
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms , chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Himalayan salt (or preferred salt) , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 cups fire roasted tomatoes
- 15 oz black beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 oz kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 oz chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 lime , juiced
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion & pepper and sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
Add mushrooms & garlic, sauté for about 5-6 minutes. Until mushrooms are softened
Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, salt & pepper, stir constantly for 1 minute. (be careful not to burn)
Add vegetable broth, roasted tomatoes, beans, corn, bay leaf & cocoa powder. Raise heat to bring to a simmer. Then cover & reduce heat to maintain a light simmer for for 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Taste for salt & seasoning, add more if needed. Remove cover and cook for another 12-15 minutes, or until liquid cooks down a bit. Stir occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Serve in your favorite bowls and enjoy!
* Before cooking, measure out all spices and set aside. You can mix them all together in one small bowl (except for bay leaf). This will make the process easier.
*If you would like to make this chili a little spicier, you can add a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the mix.
*Top with fresh-cut cilantro, vegan sour cream, and side with a lime wedge and some warm corn bread. Enjoy!
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 701mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 330IU | Vitamin C: 18.4mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 4.9mg