Easy Vegan Pot Pie
This Vegan Pot Pie will quickly become a weeknight favorite! It’s impossibly easy to make and requires very little prep. It takes less than 30 minutes in the oven and will be on your table in no time!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 9-inch sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 8 oz (1/2 block) extra firm tofu , drained and pressed, then cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- Salt and cracked pepper , to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). You will need 4 8-Ounce Ramekins or something similar
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Set aside.
To a large saucepan, add the vegetable broth and warm over medium heat. Now stir in the flour/milk mixture. Cook until sauce begins to thicken for about 4-6 minutes.
Add frozen vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce is reduced and thick. Now add the tofu and gently combine. Add salt and pepper to taste (*see note). Remove from heat and set aside
Slightly roll 1 sheet of pie crust on a flat surface. Cut out two circles roughly 6" in diameter, and 2 circles that are slightly bigger than the width of the ramekin, about 4.5". (I used cereal bowls for the larger circles and a Pyrex to make the smaller circles). You may need to roll the dough a bit more to fit the 4 circles. Repeat with remaining pie crust.
Line a ramekin with a 6-inch dough circle and fill with veggie mixture about 3/4 the way full. Now place the smaller circle on top and gently press around the sides to close. Pierce the center of each pie with a knife. Repeat with remaining ramekins.
Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until top is golden and the filling is slightly bubbling. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
* You can also make one large pot pie using the two sheets of pie crusts. You will need an 8-9" pie pan as well. Roll out the dough to fit pan if needed. Assemble the same way as instructed with the ramekins. The cook time may take 10-15 minutes longer.
* I used a flavorful broth to keep the ingredient list short and simple. I didn't feel the recipe needed extra seasoning but feel free to add more to taste. You can add things like garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cumin or rosemary.
* PRESSING TOFU: wrap a block of tofu in a few paper towels and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast iron skillet on top (or something equally heavy) and let it drain for 20-30 minutes. I have a Tofu Press which makes it easier. With this recipe, you'll only need half the block of tofu, but I usually press the whole block and save the remaining for another recipe. To make things easier, you can buy Pre-Pressed Tofu.
Serving: 1pot pie | Calories: 81kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 382mg | Potassium: 150mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3850IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg