Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Dip into greatness with this Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus! It's filled with robust, spicy & smoky-sweet flavors. You'll be addicted to this healthy snack in no time!
Servings 6 people
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas , rinsed (*reserve 2 tablespoons of liquid from can)
- 6 oz (about 1/2 cup) jarred roasted bell peppers , drained well & patted dry
- 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini , unsalted (more if preferred)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 1-2 small cloves garlic , peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil , extra virgin
* Optional Garnish Ideas
- Paprika , smoked or regular
- Fresh-cut parsley
- Pine nuts
- Strips of roasted pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
Add all the ingredients to a food processor. Process on high until you've reached desired consistency (It should have some texture with a thick paste-like consistency). Scrape down sides as needed.
Now while the processor is running, add olive oil and blend until combined. This will smooth it out slightly. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed (I usually add a pinch more salt and lemon juice).
*Optional: to make it a bit creamier, you can add the reserved liquid while the processor is running. Pour 1 tablespoon first and determine if you'll need the second. For a thinner consistency, you can add a few teaspoons of water.
Serve in a small bowl or plate and top with a small swirl of olive oil, a sprinkle of paprika, fresh-cut parsley, A few strips of roasted pepper, pine nuts, and cracked pepper. Enjoy!
* If you want to roast your own pepper, you can find out how to do it here. You will need 1 small pepper.
* Hummus is really easy to adjust to personal taste. If you aren't sure how seasoned you'll like it, then it's best to start conservative and add as needed.
* For super smooth hummus, you can peel the skins off the chickpeas first. I like my hummus with some texture, so I usually don't do this. To peel, place them inside a dry towel and gently roll around. Most of the skins will loosen.
Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 344mg | Potassium: 64mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 145IU | Vitamin C: 15.3mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.6mg