Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
These Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes are simply sweet and fluffy with a tender crumb. They are so easy to whip up and they bake in just 20 minutes.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/3 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (177 ° C)
Place 12 muffin liners in a standard muffin pan, or you can lightly grease each slot.
In a large mixing bowl, add the soy milk and lemon juice. Set aside about 10 minutes. This creates a vegan buttermilk. (*If the milk is really cold, it could cause the coconut oil to solidify. To avoid this, leave the milk out on the counter for 5-10 minutes before starting).
In a separate med-large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Whisk to combine well.
To the large bowl with the vegan buttermilk, add the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, yogurt, and sugar. Whisk until combined well and smooth.
Slowly start adding the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir as you go along. Mix until just combined and smooth (some lumps are fine). Don't overwork the batter or it will produce a dense cupcake.
Pour mixture into each liner about 2/3 the way full (I use a small measuring cup to fill).
Place in the oven on the middle rack for 20-22 minutes until lightly golden. To check for doneness, lightly press the surface. It should spring back.
Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before touching. Now gently remove the cupcakes and let them cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes more.
* For accurate results, don't scoop the flour with a measuring cup directly from the flour container. Instead, scoop the flour out of your container with a spoon and then into a measuring cup. Don't pack or tap the cup. After filling, lightly sweep a butter knife across the top to remove the excess flour.
* Make sure your baking soda is not expired. Fresh baking agents are important for a successful baking experience.
* Cupcakes are freshest the same day, but they will store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
* Yields 12 cupcakes.
* Nutritional info doesn't include frosting.
Serving: 1cupcake | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 19mg | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.8mg