Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
Cut your cook time and effort in half with this Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto. It takes just 15 minutes and you don't have to keep stirring.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 5 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , divided
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms dry brushed & diced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (*see note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low sodium (*see note)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas , thawed
- 3-4 tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional) *see note
Turn on the Sauté feature of your Instant Pot and add the oil one tablespoon of butter. When heated, add the onions and sauté until slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the garlic and thyme. Sauté for 1 minute.
Now add the mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
Add the rice and stir to coat well.
Pour in the wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks down. About 2 minutes.
Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper then close and secure the lid. Turn the steam release handle to the Sealing position.
Cancel the Sauté function and push the Pressure Cooker (Manual Setting) button to high pressure. Set the time to 6 minutes by using the + or - button. The screen will then display ON while the preheating is in progress (this could take 7-10 minutes). When the Instant Pot has come to pressure, you'll see the 6 minutes displayed on the screen again.
The cooker will beep when the time is up. Carefully turn the steam release handle to the Venting position for a quick release (It will loudly spurt out lots of steam and some water). Once the Float Valve goes down you can carefully open the lid.
The risotto will look soupy when you first remove the lid. Just give it a few good stirs and It will thicken up. Stir in the peas, remaining butter, and vegan parmesan cheese. Taste for seasoning and add if needed.
Serve immediately with fresh-cut parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, lemon wedges, and fresh cracked pepper. Enjoy!
* If you’re not ready to dive into the Instant Pot world, you can make my stovetop Vegan Mushroom Risotto instead. It’s delicious!
* Vegetable Broth: I like to use low sodium broth, so I can control the salt taste. Some broths are too salty and can ruin a good recipe. If you would like to use a regular broth, make sure to cut down the added salt in the recipe.
* If you don't have homemade or store-bought vegan parmesan, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast at the end or you can leave out the 'cheese' flavor altogether. It will still be delicious!
* The cook time doesn't include the Instant Pot preheating time. This can take 7-10 minutes.
*Consistency of Risotto: The risotto should be able to move on the plate and It will slowly spread on its own.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 646mg | Potassium: 538mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Vitamin C: 13.8mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 3.8mg