Vegan Carrot Giger Soup
Step into Spring with this light & healthy Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup. I’ve included both Instant Pot & stovetop instructions.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1.5 tablespoons grapeseed oil or preferred oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh ginger , grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (*optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds carrots (about 6 large), rough chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste (*optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk , full-fat
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice (sub lemon)
Turn on the sauté feature of your Instant Pot and add the oil. When heated, add the onions and sauté until slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the garlic and ginger, sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Now add the thyme, coriander and crushed red pepper. Sauté for 30-60 seconds.
Cancel the sauté function and add the broth, carrots, bay leaves, salt, and cracked pepper.
Close and secure the lid. Turn the steam release handle to the Sealing position. Push the Pressure Cooker (Manual Setting) button to high pressure and set the time to 6 minutes by using the + or - button. The screen will then display ON while the preheating is in progress (this could take 8-12 minutes). When the Instant Pot has come to pressure, you'll see the 6 minutes displayed on the screen again.
The cooker will beep when the time is up. Don't touch anything, just let the pressure naturally release for 2-3 minutes. Now carefully turn the steam release handle to the Venting position (It will loudly spurt out lots of steam and some water). Once the Float Valve goes down you can carefully open the lid.
Remove the bay leaves and add the coconut milk & lime juice.
Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until creamy and smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
If the soup is too thick for your taste, you can add a small amount of vegetable broth to thin it out. *See notes for topping ideas.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger, sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrots, thyme, coriander, red pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Turn up heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the coconut milk & lime juice.
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until creamy and smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
* Topping Ideas:
Swirled coconut milk, fresh-cut cilantro, vegan sour cream, cracked pepper, crushed red pepper, smoked paprika, squeeze of lemon or lime.
* Yields about 9-10 cups of soup.
* The cook time doesn't include the Instant Pot preheating time. This can take 8-12 minutes.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 584mg | Potassium: 919mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 30370IU | Vitamin C: 15.3mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 2.1mg