This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
These Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Crumble will be the star at your next holiday gathering. They’re sweet, buttery, warm & comforting.
A holiday table wouldn’t be complete without some sort of sweet dish, right? Usually, it’s sweet potato casserole, candied yams or sweet potato pie…you name it. They are all delicious and fun, but this year, I wanted to go for something a little different, but keep the sweet goodness. These Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Crumble definitely fit the bill.
I found this recipe on the McCormick website a few weeks ago. It sounded fantastic and just what I was looking for. It seemed to have the perfect balance of flavors & textures. I love that the potatoes are roasted, instead of mashed and I love the addition of cranberries and pecans. Yum! It’s not a vegan recipe, but I knew I could easily adjust it. Also, I wanted to cut down the sweetness and make it gluten-free. Easy-peasy!
Sweet potatoes already bring a good amount of sweetness to this dish, so there’s no need to add too much sugar. To brighten up the sweetness & flavor, I tossed them in a small amount of maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt & coconut oil. Then I stick them in the oven and roast them to a caramel-y brown perfection.
While that deliciousness is getting all toasty & brown, I make the scrumptious cinnamon pecan crumble. To make it gluten-free, I combine oat flour & tapioca flour. Then to make it sweet & crumbly, I add brown sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg & a pinch of sea salt. Then I sprinkle this heaven on top of the roasted potatoes & cranberries and bake until golden brown.
While baking, those sweet, crunchy & crumbly bits will fuse onto the potatoes and make magic happen. Each heavenly bite will be sweet, robust, buttery, cinnamon-y & crunchy. I’m drooling just thinking about it.
This dish is lower in sugar, but is still deliciously sweet and will satisfy that holiday sweet tooth. Your dinner guests won’t be missing a thing, except loads of processed sugar and unhealthy fat. Their insides will secretly be thanking you.
These Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Crumble will bring the essence of autumn right into your home, so you can forget about those fall-scented candles. This dish is warm, comforting, aromatic and magnificent.
I think it’s a perfect choice for the holidays or any occasion. Also, it’s really easy to make and calls for simple ingredients. It does take some time in the oven, but I promise it’ll be worth it. You can easily make this ahead of time, too. Just roast the potatoes and pop them in the fridge. The next day, sprinkle on the crumble and bake for 30 minutes. Voila!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes W/ Cinnamon Pecan Crumble
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup (sub brown sugar)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place cut sweet potatoes in a large bowl and set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to combine.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the cut sweet potatoes on the sheet & place in the oven. Roast for about 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Turn potatoes occasionally for even browning.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oat flour, tapioca flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt. Slowly add in melted coconut oil or vegan butter & combine until coarse crumbles form. Add pecans & combine.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Pecan Crumble:
- When sweet potatoes are done roasting turn heat down to 375 degrees F.
- Place potatoes in a 13x9 casserole dish (or something similar). If they seem dry, drizzle a little oil or vegan butter on top. Spread the cranberries throughout the potatoes. Sprinkle pecan crumble evenly across potatoes & cranberries.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until crumble is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me, Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs.
If you’d like to see more holiday classics, you might be interested in this Apple Cranberry Sauce. It’s bursting with mouth-watering flavors and has the perfect balance of sweet & tart.