This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse is naturally sweet, chocolatey, and SO heavenly! The avocado doesn't impart any flavor, it just adds a creamy texture and tons of nutrients. It'll be a winner in your home!
Yep, you've read that right...this Chocolate Avocado Mousse is good for you! It's a nutrient-packed treat that will satisfy your sweet tooth while nourishing your body. Also, it's topped with homemade Coconut Whipped Cream that makes it out-of-this-world delicious!
I'm a big dessert lover and I tend to have something sweet on a daily basis, so I try to make them as healthy as possible. I make these Mocha Cheesecake Bites all the time and keep them stocked in my freezer when a sugar craving hits. There's no refined sugar or heavily processed ingredients in them - just pure and natural goodness.
Don't get me wrong, I love ALL types of dessert, but for my daily treat, I go for a healthier variety.
Avocado Mousse Ingredients
- Avocados - They aren't just for guacamole, they are perfect for desserts, too. Their flavor isn't overpowering and they create a creamy, thick, and velvety texture. You won't taste them at all, I promise. Make sure the avocado is nice and ripe though.
- Raw Cacao - It makes the green disappear and makes it taste rich and chocolatey. Raw cacao powder is what real chocolate tastes like and can be quite bitter. However, with the right amount of natural sweetener, it turns into pure, chocolatey heaven!
- Medjool Dates - For natural sweetness and it adds thickness to the mousse.
- Pure maple syrup - For extra unrefined sweetness, but this is optional.
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk - I added this for extra creaminess and thickness but you can use any plant-based milk.
- Vanilla Extract - Adds a warm note of vanilla, but this an optional ingredient.
- Sea Salt - Brings out the flavor of the other ingredients.
I topped this chocolate avocado mousse with fresh coconut whipped cream but this is purely optional. The mousse is still perfectly delicious on its own, too.
Is Avocado Mousse good for you?
YES! Raw cacao contains many important vitamins and minerals including magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, manganese & lots of B vitamins. It's also rich in antioxidants, heart-healthy fat, and friendly fiber. What’s not to love about this stuff…it’s truly nature's gift!
Let's not leave those deliciously sweet dates out, because they have lots of nutrition, too. Dates have a great source of fiber, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, and vitamin B6. I also eat them with almond butter, for an energizing and nutritious snack. So much better than processed snacks.
Avocados are high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, magnesium & folic acid. They’re rich in heart-healthy fats and incredibly delicious, too! I slice them on toast all the time and drizzle olive oil on top. It's so good!
How to make Avocado Mousse
It's SO easy! Just place all of the ingredients into a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Scrape down sides as needed. The consistency should be mousse-like. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk and if it's too thin, add more avocado or dates. Taste for sweetness and add more as needed.
Can I freeze it?
It doesn't work well in the freezer and the texture will be weird, so I recommend enjoying it freshly made.
How do I store it?
For optimum flavor and freshness, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
More chocolate recipes to try
- Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Milk
- Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Or if you want a savory way to enjoy avocado, these Stuffed Avocados by Simple Veganista look fantastic!
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Avocado Mousse, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 2 avocados , halved, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ¼ cup coconut milk , full-fat
- 4 medjool dates , pitted
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup , more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
Coconut Whipped Cream (*optional)
- 14 ounces coconut milk (chill can in fridge over night)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth & creamy. Scrape down sides, as needed. The consistency should be mousse-like. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk. Taste for sweetness and add more as needed. Enjoy right away or place covered in the fridge to chill for 30-60 minutes.
Coconut Whipped Cream Method:
- You will need a large bowl and hand beaters or a stand mixer. Chill bowl and beaters in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Turn can upside down and open the bottom end. Pour out liquid and save for another recipe. Scoop out the solidified coconut and place in chilled bowl.
- Whip the coconut cream for 3 to 5 minutes, until it's fluffy and light. Mix in sweetener, salt and vanilla, whip for another minute.
- Place mousse into your favorite dessert glass and top with a layer of coconut whip.
Yum, this was so tasty and so easy to make. Thank you for the great recipe!
Beautiful recipes and website. 🙂
Thank you, Malinda! I'm so happy you like it 🙂