This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Vegan Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup is rich, creamy and comforting. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free and delicious!
Even though the weather is still warm in my neck of the woods, I’m feeling the fall weather in spirit. I grew up with seasons, so it’s just a part of my being. It’s ok though, I just turned up the a/c a little and made this delicious Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup. My tummy feels all toasty and warm just thinking about it.
Don’t you just love this time of year? Pumpkin is everywhere, the leaves are falling and it’s time for belly-warming soups. I will get the cooler weather over here, but it doesn’t start for another month. I’m ready!
We’ve been straight-up soupaholics in our home lately! Last week I made my Creamy Potato Leek Soup & my bistro-style French Onion Soup. I usually like to freeze leftover soups, but these never made into the tundra. We gobbled them up for lunch & dinner for a week. No boredom here!
Sending your kiddos to school on a chilly day? This soup is totally portable, so send them off with a warm Thermos filled with this tummy-warming soup. So much better than a cold sandwich, don’t you think?
Besides being utterly delicious-this soup is really healthy for you, too! Take a look:
Butternut squash has a sweet, nutty taste and a beautiful light orange color inside (major antioxidant power!). Also, it’s a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. It has lots of friendly fiber, too.
Sweet potatoes are also an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin B , vitamin C, manganese, potassium, fiber and many other vitamins and minerals. I love the orange color and the sweet taste they have. I love to eat them straight out of the oven because they don’t need anything except a sprinkle of salt.
Vegan Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 2 large carrots , peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium butternut squash , peeled and diced (about 4- 5 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato , peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable broth , low sodium *See note
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- A Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or preferred salt), more to taste.
- fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil & butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add carrots and garlic, sauté about 6-7 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add cumin, thyme, and nutmeg, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the squash, sweet potato, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a slight boil, then reduce to a simmer, cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut milk & lemon juice. Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Using a regular blender or an immersion blender, purée the vegetables until it's a smooth & creamy consistency. Place into soup bowls, swirl some coconut milk & add pumpkin seeds on top.
If you make this Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup, or one of my other recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me…just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs.
*Pin for later 🙂