This Creamy Vegan Potato Salad is flavorful & satisfying. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free and guilt free. It’s the perfect side dish to most meals.
We are right in the middle of summer (well, for most of us) and it seems like the perfect time to share my favorite Creamy Vegan Potato Salad recipe. I know, I know…there are thousands of potato salad recipes online and do we really need another? Well, the answer is YES! We sure do! Especially, a deliciously creamy, vegan version.
Growing up, potato salad was a staple at family picnics, barbecues and other casual gatherings (I think many of us can relate) It was always homemade and was always the first to disappear (I definitely helped with that). These days, I don’t get to enjoy many gatherings, because I live across the country. However, between visits, I keep the tradition going at our home and I created my own veganized version for my family to enjoy. I make it a lot in the warmer months which is most of the year here. It’s one side dish that doesn’t get boring. I have a few different potato salad recipes, but this one is most requested.
I’m quite particular when it comes to potato salad. I like it somewhat tender, but not the mashed version. I like my potato salad to have some bite & texture, but not overly crunchy either. I peel and cube the potatoes and cook them until they are just tender (about 8-10 minutes). This creates a tender potato that keeps most of its shape. It’s the perfect foundation for the rest of the ingredients and they won’t get lost in a mashed blob.
This Creamy Vegan Potato Salad is loaded with fresh herbs & veggies, which adds a wonderful variety of flavors, textures and colors (it also makes it more nutritious). This turns a basic looking potato salad, into a beautiful & colorful side dish. In this recipe, I added celery, red bell pepper, green onion, fresh dill, pickles & sweet corn. They add a nice crunch and the colors just pop and make it even more appetizing. It’s a real crowd pleaser and will be the star at your next causal gathering.
I kept the base flavor a little classic, by using vegan mayonnaise and a touch of mustard. This keeps your tater salad creamy, with a touch of zing in every bite. If you really want to kick up the zing, add a touch of pickle juice to the mix. Potato salad is ridiculously versatile, so feel free to add or take away some ingredients. Make it your own and have fun with it. It’s almost impossible to mess up.
You don’t need a special occasion to make this tasty & comforting side dish. So, why not give this Creamy Vegan Potato Salad a try tonight? I guarantee you’ll have some happy campers sitting at the table. I betcha they’ll even do the dishes, if you promise to make it again. 😉
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me, Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water (1-2 inches over potatoes). Add the salt & vinegar (*see note). Over high heat, bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low boil. Cook until potatoes are just tender & easily pierced with a pairing knife or fork, with little resistance when falling off. About 8-10 minutes.
- When potatoes are done, drain them well using a colander & transfer them to a large mixing bowl. While hot, squeeze the lime juice over the potatoes. Fold gently to combine. (This will help the potatoes absorb the zingy flavor). Let potatoes cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, prepare your dressing. In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup of mayo (*see note), mustard, herbs, spices, salt and pepper (except paprika.) Whisk together until well combined.
- When potatoes have cooled, place the pickles & veggies in the large mixing bowl and pour on the dressing. Fold gently until ingredients are combined. Taste for any additional seasoning, add more as needed. Place in fridge to chill for 1-2 hours so the flavors will marinate well. (It can also be served immediately, if preferred)
- Before serving add the extra 1/2 cup of mayo (if needed) and sprinkle with paprika. Enjoy!
* Salt & Vinegar for cooking water: The salt will season the potatoes throughout, while the vinegar will prevent overcooking.
* Mayonnaise: Start off with 1 cup of mayo and save the rest right before serving to keep the salad moist. (it might not be needed)
*If you'd like additional zing, you can add a 1-2 teaspoons of pickle juice to the dressing.
*Prep time does not include chilling process.
*If you’d like to pin for later 🙂
Vegan Huggs is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission if you purchase the item after clicking on the link. This helps cover the cost of keeping the site running. There will be no additional charge to you, if you purchase an item through an affiliate link. I will only link items that I use myself.